Quality Air and Peace of Mind
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas, which has always been a part of our environment. It’s a natural decay product of Uranium and is found in soil everywhere in varying concentrations. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US, behind smoking.
Radon gas can accumulate in enclosed places, such as a house, but it’s presence, even in high concentrations, cannot be detected by human senses because the gas is invisible and has no odor. The greater the concentration and the longer a person is exposed, the greater the risk, so all people are encouraged to reduce their exposure. However, because of it’s physical characteristics, the only way to detect the presence of radon gas and measure the level is by a test. So people wanting to limit their exposure must first conduct a test to determine what their exposure levels are.
In New Jersey, there is a particularly uranium-rich geological formation called the Reading Prong, which stretches from PA through northwest NJ into southern NY state. Testing of homes built along this geologic formation has revealed high indoor levels of radon gas. The NJDEP has concluded that radon is a statewide health issue. All homeowners are encouraged to test and, if levels are elevated, residents are urged to consider remediation.
Radon decay products that are inhaled, can become trapped in the lungs where they emit radiation. These decay products can damage lung tissue and increase the risk of developing lung cancer. Lung cancer is the only known health effect linked to radon exposure at this time. The EPA estimates that between 15,000 and 22,000 of the 125,000 annual deaths from lung cancer may be attributable to radon exposure.
Radon License #MET13744